Friday, June 17, 2011

Representative Stephen Sandstrom: Repeal HB116

Representative Stephen Sandstrom Calls for Repeal of HB116

OREM - At the Republican Convention this weekend, Republican delegates and elected officials will be voting on a resolution for the repeal of HB 116. I strongly encourage them to support the resolution to repeal HB116.

The state of Utah is at a major crossroads, the cultural and economic future of our state are at stake.

During the last year as I worked on my Illegal Immigration Enforcement Act, I personally received thousands of letters, calls, and emails from citizens across our state. I encourage all those who supported my enforcement legislation to contact their legislators and delegates and ask them to support the resolution calling for the repeal of this misguided piece of legislation.

I am encouraged by Arizona, Oklahoma and other states who have recently had their illegal immigration legislation validated by the United States Supreme Court. This shows that at the state level, we can effectively curb the threat of illegal immigration.

As my Illegal Immigration Enforcement Act faces its court challenge by the ACLU and La Raza, I am disgusted and appalled by the Mexican Government and several other Latin American states and their attempt to influence the US legal system in support of illegal aliens from their countries.

As I am now proceeding with a comprehensive E-Verify law for the State of Utah that will have real penalties and consequences for those that hire illegal aliens, I am troubled that the same organizations that supported HB 116 and who say that they want to end all new illegal immigration to the State of Utah and the rampant identity theft that it brings with it are now lining up to fight my proposed comprehensive E-Verify legislation.

This only shows that their previous assertions that they support the rule of law and sincerely want to end illegal immigration while protecting Utah’s children from identity theft was only political posturing and untruthful.

They want to keep the status quo in Utah that turns a blind eye to companies that want to hire illegal immigrants, to continue to sacrifice Utah children to identity theft for profits and to ensure that Utah employers have an unlimited source of poorly paid, illegal immigrant labor.  
# # # # #

No comments:

Post a Comment